“Soup is a lot like a family. Each ingredient enhances the others; each batch has its own -characteristics; and it needs time to simmer and reach full flavour.”
Soup is great for the colder months, it’s warming and filling, and great with a chunk of bread and butter on the side. We have different flavours of soup available in the Tea Lounge, depending what day you pop by. We’ve bought together some interesting facts about this yummy food…
1) In 2005, the most expensive bowl of soup costs £180, and had to be ordered 5 days in advance! Available from the Kai Mayfair restaurant, it contains ingredients such as sharks fin and ginseng.
2) In 2015, in Bosnia, a Guinness World Record attempt was made for making the biggest pot of chicken soup. The pot contained 1000 kilograms of chicken meat and 300 kilograms of vegetables, and it took 8 hours to cook!
3) Sardinian siblings, who hold a work record for their combined ages (one is 105) credit their longevity to the humble minestrone soup.
4) Rumour has it that consommé (a clear broth) was invented so that an 18th century king could admire his own reflection whilst eating.
5) Andy Warhol’s work focused heavily on Campbell’s soup- but why? He claimed, ‘I used to drink it. I used to have the same lunch every day, for twenty years.’